This is my simple weeknight go to recipe for my family that’s both nutritious and delicious. I love zucchini with dill and mint. The dill is fresh and the mint is dried. This whole meal only take about 15 minutes of hands-on time and is ready in 30 minutes. Not bad, huh? I serve it with rice.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- A few rounds of fresh black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. dried mint
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 cups diced or chopped tomato
- 7-8 zucchini, cut lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill weed (about 1 oz. in a packet)
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
Here is how to put it all together:
Add the oil to a deep and heavy pot, and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and garlic together for about 4 minutes.
Add the ground beef, Aleppo pepper, dried mint, allspice, and black pepper. Mix well and break up the ground beef by mashing it against the bottom of the pot. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes, zucchini, water and salt. Once the stew starts to boil, lower the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes. The zucchini should be soft but not mushy. Serve with rice.